Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunday Brunch

Brunch is wonderful. Brunch allows you to sleep in and still have breakfast; brunch doesn't judge your pajamas or your Hello Kitty slippers.

I was on iwastesomuchtime.com or maybe slowrobot.com, I'm not sure which one it was, but either way I saw these crazy good looking toast, egg, and bacon things last night. However, it was just a picture, so this morning I accepted the challenge and figured out how to put them together, what temperature would be best for baking them, and how long to leave them in the oven. Challenge not only accepted, but challenge accomplished.

 So simple and so filling. First, take your trusty cupcake pan and grease the bottom and sides with butter. Make sure to only grease the ones you'll be using, no point in wasting butter! Then, take whatever bread you like best for your toast, make sure it's fresh! Fold the piece of bread gently into a cupcake pan. Fresh bread is better because it's more flexible, if it is even the slightest bit stale when you're folding it into the cupcake pan it'll break or rip. Next, crack the egg into the little bread cup you just created and place half a strip of bacon on top.

See the one all the way in the back? That was the first one I did. I put the bacon in first and then when I cracked the egg on top egg whites overflowed onto my counter. With the bacon on the bottom there wasn't enough room for the egg whites; lesson learned. But, by all means, if you have a bigger cupcake pan, or managed to fit your bread in better than I did, go for the bacon on the bottom.

I'll admit, they aren't the tastiest looking things, but they are delicious. The butter that you used to grease the pan gives the bread a nice golden color, like the outside of a perfectly made grilled cheese. And the bacon is nice and tender (I don't like my bacon really crispy) and what I love about baking it is that there is minimal grease from the bacon. It feels a lot more healthy when you're eating it.

I set my oven at 350F and they baked for about 25 minutes to a half hour. I would recommend to keep checking them, you don't want to over cook the eggs or burn the toast.


A friendly tip, and this happened with two of the breakfast cups I made this morning: the bottom of the bread broke a little bit so some of the egg got through and it stuck to the bottom of the pan a little bit. Instead of sliding right out of the pan, the bottom ended up breaking. In such cases, a fork will most certainly help you in your breakfast endeavor. But, whether or not they stick to the pan, they're an amazing way to start the day off right.

No comments:

Post a Comment